Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Raised Gardens


 Last Friday Dad took the day off from work. It was in honor of my birthday and so Dad helped me (actually I helped him) build some raised bed gardens.

We started them out on a mostly level plane, and then moved them over closer to the barn.

In the background you can see one we finished.

We cut some of the timber into 2 foot sections for the jigsaw ends. 


Building them kind of reminded me of playing with Lincoln Logs.

  
Logan found a mini-sledge hammer.
By the end of the second bed he was not swinging real quickly.

In every tier we put about 9 nails that were six inch 60d (that means sixty penny which is really big)


Isn't that funny how my phone stretched the hammer Dad is swinging?




I did not pound any nails! 
But I did measure and cut the timbers as well as try to keep the timbers ready for the next tier.


We still need to finish some drainage near the barn before we can put the beds in place. 
But that will be another day. 



3 comments:

  1. Nice. I remember when my dad helped me build a raised bed for a tree I planted in Elkhart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not pound any nails either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are very pretty! Maybe i'll have to think about a raised bed for the girls to plant in. Kaelyn is so taken with wanting to pick flowers for anyone. We don't have a lot of flowers to pick!

    ReplyDelete